English Paper Piecing: Making a Lucy Boston Quilt with Bundle #4

It's time for the fourth bundle in our Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses Sew Along! 


This month we're exploring Bundle #4. You can order your fabric bundle HERE. The bundles will be available in the shop or online on Monday, August 3rd, 2026. 

In the earlier posts in our Lucy Boston series, we took a deep dive into using the templates and the basics of fussy cutting. You can also check out everything Lucy Boston and paper piecing on our YouTube Channel. This month, we'll keep things a little shorter and focus on the fun part, using photos to show you exactly how I positioned my templates to create each of these blocks.

This month's blocks were inspired by Frida Kahlo, whose birthday is celebrated in July. Reflecting her bold, artistic style, these designs have a more organic feel, allowing the fabrics to flow naturally rather than relying on perfectly precise motifs and focus cutting.


Because many of the flowers overlap, I strongly recommend using an air-erase marker to trace around every flower before you begin cutting. This makes it much easier to visualize your placement and make small adjustments as needed. 

Remember, your templates include a 3/8" seam allowance, giving you a little wiggle room to make these small adjustments without affecting the finished block.

In the examples below, you'll see that some flowers require only a slight overlap—I like to "split the difference"—while others work better with a tiny trim, or as I like to say, "clip the tip." For darker fabrics, marking on the back of the fabric often provides a much clearer guide.

For this example where the lines overlap, you can split the difference. 




For the example on the red fabric, you can clip off the tip. You'll also notice that I'm marking on the back of this fabric so that I can see my marks more easily. 




For your reference, we are using this honeycomb pattern to create each block. The focus placement photos below will reference the honeycomb color for each finished block. Also, for each block we'll be working from the inside out.


Ready? Let's go! And remember,  even though I show the flowers to cut, you may need to adjust the angle to fit all of them. Outline first, adjust if necessary, then cut!

#4 BLOCK 1: PINK




 #4 BLOCK 1:  GREEN





#4 BLOCK 1:  ORANGE



#4 BLOCK 1:  PURPLE



#4 BLOCK 2: PINK


 #4 BLOCK 2:  GREEN





#4 BLOCK 2:  ORANGE





#4 BLOCK 2:  PURPLE



#4 BLOCK 3: PINK




 #4 BLOCK 3:  GREEN
This one has a twist! I show it four different ways. One with this bundle's fabric and three using fabrics from previous bundles. I like them all so, I give you permission to play! 


#4 BLOCK 3:  ORANGE
Cut eight of the same, then once basted, rotate one of the pair so white and brownish stripe face in.





#4 BLOCK 3:  PURPLE






#4 BLOCK 4: PINK




 #4 BLOCK 4:  GREEN




#4 BLOCK 4:  ORANGE





#4 BLOCK 4:  PURPLE
Like in block 3, with this trellis cut, all eight are the same. Once basted, rotate so the white and brownish stripes face in.


I'll see you next month with Bundle #5!

Happy stitching,

Melinda


Helpful Links

👉 Visit The Cotton Patch in Lafayette, California to explore our selection of quilting fabrics, notions, and English Paper Piecing supplies. We'd love to help you find everything you need for your next project!